Podcast show notes are an important part of growing your podcast and developing your brand. If done properly, they can help drive traffic to your podcast, grow your podcast audience, shout out your sponsors, and highlight the best moments of your episode. We are excited to share our tips and advice about how to write podcast show notes, including an example of ours!
One really important aspect of having a podcast is writing your show notes. Show notes may not sound as exciting as building your website or posting on Instagram, but they’re key for getting listeners to find and understand your show — and want to tune in!
In this post you’ll learn:
- What are podcast show notes
- Why are podcast show notes important
- How do you write your podcast show notes
- An example of our podcast’s show notes
- A podcast show note template
- Next steps to learn more about show notes for podcasts
- How to get more information on how to start a podcast
Your show notes are a great opportunity to:
- Highlight standout moments in the episode
- Give love to your sponsors
- Drive traffic to your website
1. What are podcast show notes?
Podcast show notes highlight what you talked about in the podcast episode. They also provide an opportunity to expand upon other resources you may have mentioned, like a guest’s website, sponsored products, or previous episodes.
The show notes will go on the podcast platforms you publish on, such as Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Stitcher. Show notes should also go your podcast’s website. It’s a central location for all of the information your audience needs to know about the episode.
2. Why are podcast show notes important?
Podcast show notes are important because they help to drive SEO and provide an opportunity to gain additional listeners. It makes it super easy for listeners to find you and learn more! Your audience won’t have to do additional research since you have already provided them with the necessary links!
Show notes for podcasts draw people in who may otherwise not have known about your show. By highlighting the key takeaways of the episode, people will be more interested to learn more and listen.
Your podcast show notes are an extension of your podcast. They should be compelling and fit your brand voice, and be clear and concise at the same time.
3. How do you write show notes for podcasts?
This is what you’ll want your podcast show notes to include:
- A quick episode recap with 3-5 bullet points on key topics and takeaways. This should be a short episode summary, so people know what to expect should they tune in and listen.
- References from anything you mentioned in the episode such as an article, product, or past episode you shouted out. This is a great place to reference older content or episodes and provide any necessary URLs.
- Discount codes or affiliate links to sponsors if applicable.
- Link to your website and any other brand initiatives you want to promote.
- One great “pull quote” you can highlight in the text that summarizes the episode’s purpose. You can also use this quote to create a shareable graphic for your social channels. Pull quotes can open up your show notes, as they quickly draw in a potential listener. A great pull quote gets people super excited about what they will hear on the show!
Bonus tip: Time batching is a super effective way to write your podcast show notes. Set aside some time (without interruptions!) once a week to write all your show notes for upcoming episodes. That’s how we always did our notes and now how we work with our team. It makes life so much easier!
4. Here’s an example of our podcast’s show notes:
Are you looking to connect with people through dating, making new friends, or networking? Today we are joined by former Chief Brand Officer of Bumble, Alex Williamson, to discuss what makes Bumble different from other social and dating apps.
As a company, they value kindness and respect, and empower women to make the first move. Alex describes how Bumble ensures that their users have a positive experience and feel safe. For example, they are taking steps to criminalize the sending of lewd pictures.
She gives tips for creating a profile, like avoiding group pictures, and the importance of showcasing who you are to avoid heartache.
We love and appreciate how Alex really dives into the issues with online dating, outdated gender norms, and how you can find true connection (friendships and relationships!) through the use of Bumble.
We also talk about:
- Feeling empowered in relationships
- Advice to avoid abuse from dating apps
- Respectful & compassionate dating
- Bumble BFF & Bizz
- Favorite stories from couples who have met on bumble
- Establishing a strong brand voice
- Learn more: bumble.com
- Instagram: @williamson
- September 18th: Nashville with Julie Solomon
- September 19th: Nashville with Dr. Josh Axe
- October 3rd: NYC with Nikki Glaser
- October 4th: NYC with Erin Claire Jones
- Athletic Greens | Get 20 travel packs FREE ($79 value) with your first purchase at www.athleticgreens.com/almost30
- Dr. Roebucks | Visit sephora.com and search for Dr. Roebucks
- Buffy | Go to www.buffy.co use code ALMOST30 for $20 off
- Chosen Foods | Use code ALMOST30 for 50% off at chosenfoods.com/almost30
5. Here is a podcast show note template:
As you now know, one of the most important parts of a podcast is the show notes! To recap: the show notes for podcasts include an episode description, including the purpose and accomplishments of the guest, the topics discussed in the show, resources, and sponsor discounts from ad spots.
If you’re interested in learning more about show notes for podcasts, or specifically a podcast show notes template, we have one for you! Our podcast show notes template includes a fill-in-the-blank/ad-lib style template, one example show notes page, and a PDF file.
Get the podcast show notes template here!
Looking for more guidance to optimize and launch your podcast?
We cover everything you need to know (from show titles, to podcast art, to recording tips and tricks) in the PodcastPro Idea To Launch Course. This course is a comprehensive step-by-step guide on how to start a podcast and launch it successfully!
add a comment
+ show Comments
- Hide Comments