Karena Dawn has been on the podcast before talking about fitness and entrepreneurship as the co-founder of Tone It Up. Today, she joins us to talk about her new book, The Big Silence, a memoir about mental illness and healing.
Karena Dawn is Speaking Up & Breaking the Silence Surrounding Mental Health
The title comes from the idea that there is still such a stigma surrounding mental health and discussing it openly. In it, she goes deep into parts of her life that are so evocative and powerful, from dealing with drugs, being arrested, and managing a strained relationship with her schizophrenic mother.
“It’s okay to have bad days.” – Karena Dawn, Almost 30 Podcast
We talk about her story, how to support someone with mental health issues while still taking care of yourself, and how she’s integrated her husband into the mental health discussion. It’s so important for us to break this silence together, have meaningful conversations around mental health, and shut down the stigma once and for all.
We also talk about:
- Karena’s background of dealing with mental illness in her family
- Recognizing the complexity of everyone’s lived experiences
- Finding clarity at the end
- Taking care of yourself while you help others
- Discovering where to set boundaries
- Turning your childhood struggles into something beautiful
- Teaching people how to work with others who have mental health conditions
- The goal of The Big Silence
- Read: The Big Silence: A Daughter’s Memoir of Mental Illness and Healing
- Instagram: @the.big.silence and @karenadawn
- Text HERO to 741741 for confidential counseling
Watch and subscribe on YouTube:
- EPISODE: Katrina Scott: Fitness, Family + Finding New Versions of Self
- EPISODE: Tone It Up, Female Friendships + Tuning in to Your Dream with Karena Dawn + Katrina Scott
Get discount codes sent directly to your phone. Simply text brand name or keyword to 380-600-3030
LMNT | Go to DrinkLMNT.com/Almost30 for a special offer.
BetterHelp | Get 10% off your first month at BetterHelp.com/Almost30.
Seed | Visit seed.com/ALMOST30 to redeem 20% off your first month of Seed’s DS-01™ Daily Synbiotic with code ALMOST30.
TrueBill | Stay on top of your subscriptions by visiting Truebill.com/ALMOST30.
Join our community:
Podcast disclaimer can be found by visiting: almost30.com/disclaimer.
Almost 30 is edited by Crate Media.
add a comment
+ show Comments
- Hide Comments