This conversation with Adi was so refreshing, and totally necessary given today’s climate. He is very clear with his points, his intentions, and his message surrounding drugs and addiction. Adi Jaffe, PhD, is a research psychologist, addiction specialist, and founder of IGNTD – Igniting Lives Beyond Limits. A nationally recognized speaker and expert on mental health and stigma, he has appeared on The Dr. Oz Show, Good Morning America, CNN and more. His Tedx Talk on shame has been seen by nearly 500,000 people. Adi’s approach to addiction is so incredible, as he lifts the shame around it to make it more suitable for progression and healing, offering grace in a conversation that tends to have none.
Adi’s own story is beautiful, and we appreciate his openness and honesty in sharing it with us all. We take a deep dive into who Adi was before he met Sophie — from selling ecstasy, to struggling with depression, to beginning to experiment with harder drugs, like meth. We hear the differences between the drugs he took, and how with each step he took, the harder it was to break free from the addiction. Adi also shares the reality of trying to rebuild a life after addiction and a criminal record, and the beginning stages of his relationship with Sophie. It is truly their differences that make the relationship strong, balanced, and beautiful. Adi tells us all about his brand new book, The Abstinence Myth, and what sparked this incredible take on the connection between abstinence and addiction.
We also talk about…
- Adi’s motivation to get clean
- What he learned in jail
- The 4 factors of addiction
- Conversations around shame + how to have them
- Reframing the idea of an addict
- An IGNTD success story
- Learn more | igntd.com
- Instagram | @dradijaffe
- Twitter | @dradijaffe
- Facebook | facebook.com/dradijaffe
- Listen | IGNTD Podcast with guest Almost 30
- Read | The Abstinence Myth by Adi Jaffe, PHD
- Tedx Talk | Rebranding Our Shame
- Thrive Market | Use code ALMOST30 for extra 25% off first order at thrivemarket.com/almost30….they have WINE now too!
- Morning Recovery | Use code ALMOST30 for $5 off your first order at morningrecoverydrink.com
- Brass Clothing | Use code ALMOST30 for 15% off your first order at www.brassclothing.com
- Simple Contacts | Use code ALMOST to save $20 at simplecontacts.com/almost
- Skinny Dipped | Use code ALMOST30 for 20% off at skinnydipped.com