Our guest today is the brilliant Uma Naidoo, MD, a Harvard board-certified psychiatrist, professional chef, author, and nutrition specialist. Dr. Uma’s book is called This is Your Brain on Food. It’s a full guide to the surprising foods that fight things like depression, PTSD, ADHD, anxiety, OCD, and more.
Dr. Uma Naidoo Helps Us Draw A Line Between Diet + Mental Health
We go super cutting edge in this one as we talk about the undeniable relationship between our mental health and diet/nutrition.
We start with her own health journey and integrated practice before getting honest with a few familiar faces in our cupboards at home – coffee, alcohol, sugar, seed oils, etc. – myth busting and truth telling on what’s good, and what isn’t, for our mental wellbeing.
“Inflammation in the gut leads to inflammation in the brain.” – Dr. Uma Naidoo, Almost 30 Podcast
We all know the difference between feeling good after eating good, and feeling bad after eating poorly. Listen in to get the science on why that happens, and how we can design our diets (not restrict them) to unlock our best selves.
We also talk about:
- Relatively new field of nutritional psychiatry
- A lesson from a patient
- Uma’s cancer diagnosis and treatment
- Precision-based integrated nutrition
- Connection between mental health and food
- Toxicity of a leaky gut (and fixing it)
- The brain chemistry of stress and sugar
- Fast food and marketing messages
- The serotonin hypothesis
- Pros and cons of coffee
- Nutrition in schools, then and now
- Gaps in the current medical system
- Eat the rainbow
Osea | Find your new skincare and body care favorites at oseamalibu.com, and get a special discount just for our listeners.
Match | Match believes the most important relationship is with yourself. So, in a world where you can choose to do anything – or anyone – choose you first. Download the Match app today.
EquiLife | Listeners get $100 off the Minerals & Metals At-Home Lab Test at stephencabral.com/almost30.
Canvas Prints | Go to CanvasPrints.com and use code ‘ALMOST30’ to get 25% off your entire order.
Lululemon | Set joy in motion this holiday season at Lululemon.com.
Join our community:
- How Quitting Alcohol Changed My Life + Perpetuated Spiritual Growth #555
- Use This Method for a Better Relationship with Your Body #522
- Defining Our Own Wellness Narrative with Dr. Zach Bush #513
- The Journey of Body Acceptance #318
Podcast disclaimer can be found by visiting: almost30.com/disclaimer.
Almost 30 is edited by Crate Media.