One of our major wellness goals is always to keep our immune systems strong because your immunity is connected to everything. It’s what protects your body from illness and keeps everything running smoothly.
There are a lot of immune-boosting products out there (especially after this last year). From fizzy tablets, to powdered drinks, to gummies and vitamin C pills, we’re constantly hearing about them and getting served ads. It’s hard to know what really works, so we’re breaking it down for you and sharing one of our favorite brands.
In this post, we’ll cover:
- What exactly is the immune system
- The evolutionary flaw that sets us up for illness
- What nutrients are essential for supporting a healthy immune system
- What you should look for in immune-boosting products
- Our favorite 3-Step System to supporting a strong immune system from every angle
What Exactly is The Immune System?
The immune system isn’t like your heart, brain, or kidneys where you know exactly what it is and where it is in your body. That’s because it’s kind of…everywhere.
About 70% of your immune system lives in your gut, though it works to protect virtually every part of your body. The immune system is like an army. When invaded by bacteria or viruses, your immune system will send out soldiers in the form of white blood cells to attack, and hopefully defeat, the intruder.
It’s a beautiful process when working optimally, but unfortunately, there are many common things in our world today that impair the immune systems’ ability to do its job.
- Lack of sleep
- Not getting enough sun
- Not getting enough nutrients
- Alcohol intake
- Not getting enough exercise
- Getting too much exercise
- And the list goes on
These can all weaken your immune system! And if that wasn’t stressful enough, most people don’t realize there was an evolutionary flaw that set humans apart from nearly every other mammal.
The Evolutionary Flaw Leaving Us Vulnerable
The last time you were sick, did you isolate yourself away from your friends? Probably. What about your dog or cat?
It probably didn’t even cross your mind. That’s partially thanks to the fact that nearly every mammal except humans produces their own vitamin C. In times of stress or illness, most mammals will increase their natural production of vitamin C, sometimes up to 13 times!
It’s clear that vitamin C is a vital nutrient for when our immune system has to go into overdrive, so why don’t humans produce it? Well, we did one day. But as we evolved and ate more vitamin C-rich fruits and vegetables, our bodies no longer saw the need to produce vitamin C.
This is a problem because our foraging ancestors lived primarily off vitamin C-rich fruits and vegetables. Today, it’s safe to assume we don’t consume nearly the amount they did all those centuries ago.
It’s essential you get enough vitamin C in your diet, and even more when you are sick, stressed, or lacking sleep. But vitamin C is actually not the only nutrient your immune system needs to stay strong and supported.
What Nutrients are Essential for Supporting a Healthy Immune System?
Vitamin C is known as the mother of all immune-supporting nutrients, and for good reason. It helps the body produce white blood cells, which are essential to fighting off illness.
But it’s not the only immune-supporting powerhouse. Here are a few more:
- Vitamin A is like the boss of the immune system. It’s used in the development of the immune system, and helps regulate the response of immune cells to make sure they’re doing what they’re supposed to do.
- Zinc is like that friend who just wants everyone to get along, mediating 3 different immune system components — innate immunity, neutrophils, and NK cells.
- Vitamin D is the one that keeps it all together, making sure everything within your immune system stays balanced.
All of these nutrients are great additions to your immune-supporting team. But there’s a catch. The very best way for your body to absorb and use nutrients is in whole food form. Which is one of the major reasons that a lot of “immune-supporting products” aren’t doing as great of a job as they advertise. That’s not to say there aren’t any great products out there, but you should be selective.
What To Look Out For In Your Immune-Boosting Products
Did you know nearly every vitamin C product is derived from GMO corn and then harshly processed with potentially harmful chemicals like acetone (think: nail polish remover)? Nearly all of them contain added sugar too.
Plus, many contain the synthetic version of vitamin C, called ascorbic acid. Ascorbic acid isn’t harmful, and if it’s the only way you can get vitamin C in your diet then go for it. But if you have access to vitamin C from whole foods, it is incomparable to the fake stuff.
Plus, you just saw how vitamin C barely scratches the surface of the nutrients your immune system needs for optimal functioning.
Here is a quick 4-step checklist of what you should look out for in your immune-boosting products:
- It should be made with whole foods containing a variety of vitamins
- It should be free of added or artificial sugars
- It should be non-GMO
- It should not be processed with harsh chemicals
This may seem overwhelming, but of course we did the research for you and we want to share our favorite way to support your immune system.
Our Favorite 3-Step System For Supporting a Strong Immune System From Every Angle
We searched for a way to provide your body all the nutrients it needs in a clean and efficient way, and we found one of our favorite brands that does the work for you.
Functional Diagnostic Nutrition Practitioner Autumn Smith and her team at Paleovalley have created a 3-step system, called the Full Spectrum Defense Bundle, that has everything you need for a strong immune system.
- Paleovalley Essential C Complex – contains 3 of the most potent, natural sources of vitamin C on the planet for a healthy dose in a form your body can recognize and absorb.
- Paleovalley Organic Supergreens – a Strawberry Lemonade flavored drink mix that contains 23 different organic superfoods, including ones rich in vitamin A, zinc, and vitamin D.
- Paleovalley NeuroEffect – The secret weapon of immune support containing 8 full-spectrum mushrooms that have been shown to support a strong immune system, reduce stress, boost brain function, and up energy levels.
When these three steps come together, you are truly supporting your immune system from all angles.
On top of immune support, we noticed that we were more focused thanks to the organic mushrooms in NeuroEffect. We also have more energy throughout the day thanks to all the nutrients in Supergreens. The Essential C Complex helps us sleep better because vitamin C reduces the stress hormone cortisol, which can wake you up at night.
Plus, we love that Paleovalley is dedicated to quality and we can trust their ingredients. Each product is sourced from whole foods, gently processed, and free of harsh processing ingredients or harmful additives. They are also gluten free, grain free, soy free, dairy free, and non-GMO.
Special Savings For the Almost 30 Community
And of course we have you covered with a special discount 🙂
Learn more about the Full Spectrum Defense Bundle here. Then enter code almost30 at checkout for an exclusive 15% off discount.
We’re so excited for you to try it!