We like highlighting the stories behind the brands we love. That’s why we reached out to Daina Trout, the coolest Co-Founder in the land + the CEO of Health-Ade. She has an incredibly interesting, grass roots story – and she’s raw + honest about the struggle that all entrepreneurs experience along that journey.
Daina started Health-Ade Kombucha in 2012, alongside her husband and best friend. She was working in corporate America when she decided to pursue her passion for “real” food and develop the best-tasting, highest quality kombucha on the market. Under her fearless leadership, Health-Ade has grown from a small production, artisanal item made in a tiny apartment and sold at local farmers markets into the fastest growing brand in the category, now available in more than 12,000 stores and restaurants nationwide.
We talk about…
- Create & Cultivate
- Daina’s story
- Why kombucha?
- The struggle of starting a business
- Keeping up with demand
- Forcing yourself into the unknown
- Tapping in to intuition
- The ups + downs of starting a business with your husband + best friend
- Why people invest in you
- Women need to acquire more capital
- Taking a 60% pay cut (and why it was a bad idea)
- The kombucha scandal
- What it means to make fermented food
- Hitting goals
- New flavors on the horizon