CATCH UP WITH K + L
K & L returned to the place that taught them so much—New York City! With blistered feet, full hearts and fond memories, the gals reflect on the place that saw them through the sh*tstorms, and on their live show with Heather McMahan at Chelsea Music Hall. Stay tuned for the live recording to launch as an episode soon!
Today we are sitting down with travel writer and New York Times best selling author of To Shake the Sleeping Self, Jedidiah Jenkins! We had the privilege of spending time with Jedidiah at the Onsite Workshops Creatives’ Retreat. We’ve admired him from afar for so long, and in meeting this sweet being we were confirmed in our admiration for his authenticity, humor, thoughtfulness, and ability to truly see people and make them feel special by way of the deepest conversations.
In our conversation today, we start by discussing music, concerts and releasing energy such as anger. Jedidiah then begins sharing his story, and paints a picture of his journey in writing his book. From his experience with imposter syndrome to meeting one of his favorites, Cheryl Strayed, and how she came to write a blurb for his book—he has us laughing the whole time. Jedidiah talks about his relationship with his parents after coming out, and shares how he’s never felt shame around his sexuality, even after growing up in an Evangelical Christian household. He also shares how he’s cultivated deep friendships, and how he fosters those relationships and builds community. We have been long awaiting this conversation, and can’t wait to share it with you!
We also talk about:
- Societies view of the body as carnal and animalistic
- A mixing board as a metaphor for human life
- Jedidiah’s deep dive into Christianity
- The repression of sexuality impacting other aspects of life
- The lack respectful disagreement in our society
- Gravity points for finding authentic friendships
- Jedidiah’s creative process
- Follow Heather McMahan: @heatherkmcmahan and find her on tour HERE!
- Thank you to Sonder for our NYC home away from home!
- To everyone that came out to our Live Show in NYC, we love and appreciate you!
- October 29th: Washington D.C. with Heidi Stevens
- October 30th: Philadelphia with K&L
- November 26th: Melbourne with Rosie Acosta
- November 28th: Sydney with Jessica Sepel
- December 7th: Los Angeles with K&L
- December 12th: Miami with K&L
- Sonder Stays | Visit sonder.com and use code ALMOST30 between Sept. 16, 2019 – Dec. 31, 2019 for a 10% discount on top of an additional 15% discount when you create a Sonder account.
- Article | www.article.com/ALMOST30 for $50 off a purchase of $100 or more
- Perfect Bar | Visit www.perfectbar.com/almost30 for 15% off
- Further Food | Use code ALMOST30 for 30% off your purchase at shop.furtherfood.com/discount/ALMOST30
- Better Help | Visit betterhelp.com/almost30 for 15% off your first month.