Episode titles are one of the most important parts of your pod! After all, they tell your listeners what to expect and what to get excited about. Get your titles right and you can triple (yup, TRIPLE!) your downloads.
Here are some of our best tips for how you can optimize your titles:
- Include buzzwords in your titles. Think about what topics are trending and relevant in the news and culture right now. A tool like Google Keyword Planner can be super helpful to discover the most searched keywords.
- Choose a few main keywords for every episode you release. Use at least one of those words in your title and all of them in your episode description.
- Put your most relevant topics, keywords, or notable guest names at the beginning of your title.
- Don’t use ambiguous words. The more specific your title, the better! Using specific keywords can increase your likelihood of downloads by three times. That’s HUGE!
- Make sure your titles aren’t too long or misleading in any way.
- You don’t need to include the episode number in your title — that doesn’t provide much insight or value to your listeners.
- This is fairly new but worth noting — Google has the ability to “listen in” on your podcast and note keywords that will help in your searchability. Make sure your keywords are spoken clearly in your introduction at the very least.
Here are some good examples of episode title layouts:
- How to successfully launch your dream podcast
- 5 steps to launching your podcast
- Launch, grow, and monetize your dream podcast | A step-by-step guide
- Launching a podcast 101
These titles are specific, relevant, and tell the listener exactly what to expect.
Here are some not-so-good examples of episode title layouts:
- Episode 40
- Episode 40 | Krista Williams + Lindsey Simcik
- So you want to start a podcast
- The how-to you’ve been waiting for
These titles are pretty non-specific and include the episode number in the title. It’s tempting to want to tease things in the title, but you’ll attract more listeners if you’re specific and tell them exactly what they will learn.
You don’t have to get it right the very first time! Experiment with different title layouts and see what works for you. See what clicks with your audience and gets the most downloads, and then you can adjust from there.
Optimizing your episode titles is just one piece of making your podcast the best it can be! To learn more about growing and optimizing your podcast, check out our full PodcastPro Program.