Episode titles are super important and can help you triple your podcast downloads. Yup, you read that right! We share with you seven tips on how to optimize your titles.
In this post you’ll learn:
- How you can optimize your titles
- Buzzwords to include in your titles
- How to choose keywords
- Why it’s important to have clear titles
- Why you shouldn’t include the episode number
- How Google “listens in” and picks up keywords
- Good examples of episode title layouts
- Not-so-good examples of episode title layouts
Episode titles are one of the most important parts of your podcast! After all, they tell your listeners what to expect and what to get excited about. Get your titles right and you can triple (yup, TRIPLE!) your downloads.
Here are 7 of our best tips for how you can optimize your podcast episode titles:
1. Include buzzwords in your podcast episode titles
Think about what topics are trending and relevant in the news and culture right now. A tool like Google Keyword Planner can be super helpful to discover the most searched keywords.
2. Choose a few main keywords for every episode you release
Use at least one of those keywords in your podcast episode title and all of them in your episode description.
3. Put your most relevant topics, keywords, or notable guest names at the beginning of your podcast episode title
That way your audience knows exactly what to expect.
4. Don’t use ambiguous words in your episode titles
The more specific your title, the better! Using specific keywords can increase your likelihood of downloads by three times. That’s HUGE!
5. Make sure your podcast episode titles aren’t too long or misleading in any way
You don’t want to mislead or confuse your audience.
6. You don’t need to include the episode number in your podcast episode title
This doesn’t provide much insight or value to your listeners.
7. Make sure your keywords are spoken clearly in your introduction
This is fairly new but worth noting — Google has the ability to “listen in” on your podcast and note keywords that will help in your searchability. So, make sure your keywords are spoken clearly in your introduction at the very least.
Here are some good examples of podcast episode title layouts:
- How to successfully launch your dream podcast
- 5 steps to launching your podcast
- Launch, grow, and monetize your dream podcast | A step-by-step guide
- Launching a podcast 101
These titles are specific, relevant, and tell the listener exactly what to expect.
Here are some not-so-good examples of podcast episode title layouts:
- Episode 40
- Episode 40 | Krista Williams + Lindsey Simcik
- So you want to start a podcast
- The how-to you’ve been waiting for
These titles are pretty non-specific and include the episode number in the title. It’s tempting to want to tease things in the title, but you’ll attract more listeners if you’re specific and tell them exactly what they will learn.
You don’t have to get it right the very first time! Experiment with different title layouts and see what works for you. See what clicks with your audience and gets the most downloads, and then you can adjust from there.
Optimizing your podcast episode titles is just one piece of making your podcast the best it can be!