Your podcast name is probably the first thing your audience will see or hear about your show. You want your name to clearly (and quickly!) communicate who you are and what your listeners can expect. Your name should be engaging, catchy, and immediately seize someone’s attention.
That may sound like a lot of pressure, but our first piece of advice is to remove any pressure you may be putting on yourself and just give yourself permission to be creative. Start brainstorming and getting dreamy. See what you come up with and see what feels good to you, in your body and mind.
Try these tips:
- Grab a pen and paper. Jot down as many words as you can that are related to your show. Use these words to try different combinations. Say it out loud, write it out, and get comfortable with the name.
- Describe your show to people you trust — do any words/potential titles come to mind for them? See what they think of when you tell them the name of your show.
- Give the name space to breathe. Too much pressure and focus might work against you. Your show name will evolve naturally, so trust the process.
Once you’ve given your name some time and space to breathe, ask yourself these questions:
- Does anyone else have the same title or something similar? Do your research. You’re an original, and your podcast name should be too!
- Will someone get what my podcast is about by just seeing the title? Imagine a listener is scrolling through hundreds of podcast choices. Will they know what yours is with just a quick glance? Because let’s be real…everyone’s busy. No one’s got time to read long descriptions. You only have a few seconds to catch people’s eye, so your title needs to draw them in quickly and tell them what they’re getting.
- Is the domain name available? You’ll need it to launch your website?
One more quick tip: Don’t use the name “podcast” in the title. Your podcast will grow into a larger brand, and you want your title to represent that full brand. Plus, you can use that space for something more descriptive. Your audience already knows they’re listening to a podcast! What else can you tell them with your title?
When you land on the right name, it will resonate and feel good to you!
Looking for more info on how to create a hit podcast?! We have all the resources you need with the full PodcastPro Program!