Before we dive in, we want to first say that building a podcast studio is not as scary or intimidating as it sounds. Our first “studio” was on our small, cramped closet floors. (Seriously, the acoustics in a closet are usually great!)
It’s not so much about the space itself as about setting yourself up with the right equipment to record clear, crisp, professional-sounding audio. This is so important for both your listeners and potential sponsors.
So today we’re sharing a shopping list of our go-to recording equipment that we love.
- Rode RODECaster Pro Podcast Production Studio: We love the sturdiness of this interface. It accommodates up to four microphones and is super user friendly.
- Rode Procaster Broadcast Dynamic Vocal Microphone: These microphones are SO GOOD! The sound is incredible. These mics don’t pick up the majority of ambient sound, which editors love. They are also super easy to take on the road!
- XLR Microphone Cable
- Rode PSA 1 Swivel Mount Studio Microphone Boom Arm: We love using these suspension arms because we now record around a round table (no more closet!). They are easily adjustable and attach to most standard surface thicknesses. You can also opt for individual mini tripod table stands or a floor stand, depending on your set-up.
- Mic Foam Windscreen Cover: These go over the head of the microphone and help to soften hard sounds in anyone’s speech. These are easily washable – soap and water, put them in the dryer on low heat or, preferably lay out to dry.
- Audio-Technica ATH-M20x Professional Studio Monitor Headphones: These headphones are affordable, produce clear sound, are comfortable, and block out most environmental noise.
- TISINO 1/4 Audio Jack Splitter
- Apple USB-C to USB Adapter
We have more resources, advice, and tools to help you record your show in the PodcastPro Idea to Launch Course.